Twitter Update

Ash
    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 2 January 2014

    "...we were quoted out of context..."

    I guess that's one of the problems with writing the header to a post before you finish it. 'Cos the header's meant to at least slightly relate to what's actually in the post, and had I had a little more time I'd have gone on to talk about Sherlock, and the whole quote would have made a lot more sense. 

    But, I never got around to it...

    So. Other things that were good about last year in the telly;

    Game of Thrones; I decided, on the spur of the moment, after having heard there was a massive outcry at the massive twist in season 3 episode 9 that I'd check out the whole show, and manage to miss the spoiler. Which, somehow, I managed to do. I splurged through 30 episodes in less than three weeks, and it was great. The agony of waiting for the next season to start is really twisting my melon. 

    I found myself loving the show. It's violent, rude, and absolutely filthy, but compelling viewing. Loads of wonderful characters, and a propensity for killing them off that probably exceeds The Walking Dead (lets face it; Rick's never gonna die. At least not until the very end). I'm finding that of the characters the ones I like best are Tyrion, Baelish (oh, so slimy!), and Daenerys; although I do wish she'd hurry up and cross the Narrow Sea. Unlike the Walking Dead, though, I've not read the source material as the TV show is a much closer adapatation (within the usual lmitations) than The Walking Dead is. 

    The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls; the leaking of three JD Salinger short stories was, to say the least, somewhat of surprise. Bowling Balls was the most surprising of the three, seeing as the only known copy is at a uni library in the states and security around it is tight. You can go in and read it, but they never allow copies. Maybe someone used hi-tech methods? Hidden camera, perhaps? 

    Anyhow, it was a very interesting story to read, consisting of what's essentially a rough draft of some of the characters from Catcher in the Rye. Although whereas other rough version Catcher stories (I'm Crazy, and Slight Rebellion off Madison) are, essentially, early edits of Catcher chapters. the story here is not. Well, barring some references to things also referenced in Catcher such as Kenneth's/Allie's death. This one's not even narrated by Holden, rather by Vincent/DB. I don't think too much can be read in to the story, as in terms of Caulfield canon (it's not just Dr Who that yaps on about that) the canon is Catcher, and nothing else. Well, until the purported book of Caulfield short stories comes out... yes, me too; I'll believe it when I see it. Bowling Balls should only really be seen as a work in progress. For one thing, unlike the other two, it was never published. But, it is a fascinating insight to the progression of the work done in advance of Catcher.

    Now, can we get some actual proper published Salinger stuff; the stuff he'd been working on since 1965. 

    And, please, we're in the 21st century now; Catcher in the Rye on Kindle now, please! :)

    More tomorrow, hopefully...! 


    No comments: