Twitter Update

Ash
    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 16 January 2014

    "...it is happening again..."

    Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see,
    One chants out between two worlds,
    "Fire, walk with me".

    I crave Twin Peaks. Oh, so constantly. I still recall when I first saw it. I'd heard about it when it was first on the telly, but felt no inclination to watch it. I'd not heard of David Lynch at the time, and the main thrust of the show "Who killed Laura Palmer?" held little interest as I'd made the assumption it was pretty much a standard detective show and at the time such shows held little interest to me. It is possible there was a time I was more wrong about something, but I can't think what it was.

    Then, one day, there was something rubbish on one of the other channels, and I started to surf. Well, as much as you could say switching between four channels was surfing... and on to BBC2 and Twin Peaks it was. The first thing I saw was a girl screaming, which cut to a shot of two men sat, cross legged, in front of a fire. One man was debating which, of two, accounting books he should burn; the one with the true accounts, the other with false accounts. He seemed quite concerned by it all. The other did seem to care a jot which was burnt; all he cared was that his cheese pig wasn't burnt. 

    This seemed most odd to me. I didn't have a clue what it was about, but it drew me in. And before I knew it, I'd seen the whole episode. I watched the next weeks, and continued to watch, ending up loving the show to pieces. True, there were many things that didn't make sense; it turned out I'd started on the tenth episode (second of season two), so I'd missed out on lots. There were several things that only really had significance when I was able to catch up with the episodes I'd missed. I certainly wish I'd seen it all from the start.

    I've seen it several times since, bought the whole thing on VHS, bought the season 1 box set on region 1 DVD, and region 2, and bought the complete set as well. Meaning there's some episodes I've bought four copies of. 

    And, in a couple of months, it'll be time to get the fifth copy of some of these episodes as the whole thing's out on Blu Ray... ah, the joy of seeing Twin Peaks in full in HD. The movie looks great on Blu (at least the Australian version does), so to have the full run of episodes would be great. 

    There remains the question as to whether it will have the deleted scenes from the movie on it. This is likely to be the last time we get to see any "new" Twin Peaks material. These scenes that have been teased to use over the years have had a huge amount of expectation built up; these are scenes deleted not because they were bad, but just because the movie needed to be cut down, and they were diversions from the main story. Ah... to see one more scene with Jack Nance...

    No comments: