Twitter Update

Ash
    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 7 January 2014

    "...I've been dreaming of a time..."

    So, today and yesterday I watched The 7:39, a two part drama on BBC1 about a man and a lady who meet on a train and, somewhat inevitably as it's a TV drama, end up embarking on an affair... 

    It's the sort of thing I'd probably normally not watch, but I was drawn to it as it starred David Morrissey. Now, Mr Morrissey is one of my favourite actors around at the moment, so you could put him in anything and I'd watch it. Around him there was a great supporting cast as well, with Sheridan Smith playing the other passenger, Olivia Colman as DM's wife, and Sean Maguire as SS's fiance. 

    The thing is, as enjoyable as it was, it was all somewhat predictable, hitting each of the story beats you'd expect at the time you would expect it. That's not to say it was bad, far from it; it's just that it was unexceptional. The performances were all solid, especially Mr Morrissey, but I just hoped for a bit more. Something to surprise. 

    Trouble was, I kept thinking back to Holding On, which was one of the first things I can remember seeing Mr Morrissey star in; in that he also played a married man who embarked on an affair with a younger woman he meets in a random scenario. In the overall scheme of that show it was a relatively minor (in terms of screen time) plot thread, but I felt a greater impact from that plotline than The 7:39. 

    Like I say, not bad; just not great. 

    No comments: