Twitter Update

Ash
    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 24 January 2014

    "...it's the final countdown..."

    I suppose in a way I'm returning to the problem of yesterday; a ticking clock rapidly approaching the time of the night by which it will be too late to keep up with the whole one post a day malarkey. Looking at my list of things I should blog about when I can't think of anything to blog about, I see there's ten items on the list. But I don't actually feel like yakking on about any of them, which does rather defeat the purpose of the list in the first place...

    We are, as a whole, very good at making lists. Take "best ever" lists, for example... we all do it, we make our lists of the best of a particular thing. Take this list of the best five palindromic words;

    1 - racecar
    2 - boob
    3 - rotor
    4 - redder
    5 - madam

    It's clearly the best ever palindromes, and anyone that argues is just a fool. Or is it just some random list compiled by a mad loon? Who knows... 

    The thing is we all look at lists generated by magazines, newspapers, and websites and scoff at the glaring omissions. I mean, how many lists of best horror movies ever included Halloween 3; The Season of the Witch, which is absolutely brilliant!

    But, who is to say that list is right or wrong? How was it generated? Just because only a few people have seen a particular film doesn't mean it's less good than one that every's seen. It just shows that a movie had better distribution or better PR. 

    Lists then have a stifling effect in that they generate the sense that, really, you should have seen a particular film, just because people think you should. I mean, clearly you should all have seen Muriel's Wedding, but that's a given. 

    And then there's the

    No comments: